What's new
Revillution - Your Portal to Video Game and Content Creation Entertainment | Gaming Forums

You are currently viewing as a Guest! Why not take a moment to Register an account & log in to gain the full browsing experience. Members get access to a private inbox, ability to post messages on the forums, add their stream to the stream showcase, add images & videos to the gallery & much more.

Your site hacked?

468 x 60 Advertising

Demon_skeith

RevBux
$21
Have you ever ran a website that got hacked or DDoS? Or have you been apart of a community that got hacked?

Yes, my site's been hacked before, this was before Revillution, mind you. When I was younger and still learning the ins and outs of things, I've been hacked in the past, but it's a non-issue now, and I try to do my best to take frequent or at least semi-frequent backups.

My site got hacked a long time ago, I forgot how they did it, I think it was an issue with the hosting they exploited. Naturally I had slacked on my backups at the time and lost a bit of data.

I had one of my sites hacked quite a long time ago when there was a leak which revealed my passwords on another site. Unfortunately, I used the same password for my site. Never making that mistake again

Had one of my sites get defaced a very long time ago. Of course I was running phpnuke at the time but I didn't know better. Now I'll never go near that piece of garbage. Thankfully was able to get a backup restored and changed out the software to something else.

Interesting topic indeed and as stated...
I try to do my best to take frequent or at least semi-frequent backups.
That's very good to take manual backups as often as you reasonably can to your PC/external or what not. BUT I would include automated nightly (or more frequent backups depending on the site's needs) to a remote backup service of some sort. That way you typically have three lines of defenses...
  • Automated backups by the host on their network
  • Automated backups by YOU as the client on YOUR OWN backup solution
  • Manual backups every now and then (at the very least I recommend doing it at regular intervals as well before and after upgrading/downgrading or otherwise updating a site)
Naturally I had slacked on my backups at the time and lost a bit of data.
This is why I would make your own automated backups as a further prevention measure and attempt to improve self to do so.

My current site has thankfully not been attacked, however I think a forum I ran years ago might have been? I have some chatlogs where I was at least warned that a member was planning on hacking the site but I honestly don't remember if anything even happened, could have just been an edgelord teen trying to scare me

Back