What's new
Revillution - Your portal to entertainment!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, promote your site and/or stream, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Click here to register today!

Save Batteries

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O
Administrator
So older games, especially RPG's often had a save battery within them that would eventually die, a simple CR2032 watch battery if i'm not mistaken. Have you ever had a save battery die on you?

They were popular in cartridges for SNES, Gameboy, GBA, etc. And im pretty sure there was a few Genesis/megadrive carts that also used them. So do you got any games with dead batteries? Have you ever attempted to change them?

Megan

I think FFII (FFIV) one last I tried to play the Snes version wouldn't keep the save data. Its been ages so can't remember. I know FFIII(FFVI), had a horrible thing where it would delete saves. But it did it in some kind of weird way. Only if you unhooked the Snes while the game was in it. Otherwise it didn't do it. It took me three attempts at playing it (all times near the end) to figure it out.

I also got some Genesis thing that's supposed to be able to take saves from the Sega CD, but it doesn't keep them. I know when I first got a new Sega CD there was also an issue with it not having enough of a charge to keep game saves. Luckily the game store I got it at had another and that one worked. And that is why it is always kept hooked up now.

SpookyZalost

I've had some old GBA and GBC games with this issue... however recently I've been looking into a memory chip mod that swaps the save game memory with one that doesn't rely on a battery or constant voltage.
it's not common yet but there's been a few mods out there depending on the chip.
usually requires a mod board to convert it but when the battery dies you don't lose your saves.

also while I do not condone piracy, this is one area where tools used to pirate games are useful because you can backup your saves before you replace the battery and lose those save files.
I managed to save my old pokemon crystal game saves this way.

Demon_skeith

no, never experienced it myself, though as I start looking at older games again and get the cartridges, I'm sure I will have to replace it.