What's new

Playstation and Discord form partnership - Discord support coming soon to PSN.

Jim Ryan earlier today has stated that they are going ahead with a partnership with Discord, the popular communication app that was popularized by gamers. Jim Ryan had this to say about Playstation and Discord partnering up with Discord coming to the playstation platform next year.

At PlayStation, we’re constantly looking for new ways to enable players around the world to connect with one another, form new friendships and communities, and share fun experiences and lasting memories. It’s in this spirit that we’re excited to announce a new partnership with Discord, the communication service popularized by gamers and used by more than 140 million people every month around the world.

Together, our teams are already hard at work connecting Discord with your social and gaming experience on PlayStation Network. Our goal is to bring the Discord and PlayStation experiences closer together on console and mobile starting early next year, allowing friends, groups, and communities to hang out, have fun, and communicate more easily while playing games together.

To bring these experiences to life for our players, Sony Interactive Entertainment has made a minority investment as part of Discord’s Series H round. From our very first conversation with co-founders Jason Citron and Stan Vishnevskiy, I was inspired by their lifelong love for gaming and our teams’ shared passion to help bring friends and communities together in new ways. Empowering players to create communities and enjoy shared gaming experiences is at the heart of what we do, so we are beyond excited to start this journey with one of the world’s most popular communication services.

Late last year, Sony removed their "Communities" function from PSN. One could assume it was in preps for a move like this. Sony isn't exactly acquiring Discord, this seems to just be a partnership of sorts to get the application on their platform to help connect their users with other members of the gaming community and bridge the gap even further between consoles.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it'll work out for PSN users? Are you exciting for this move? Do you currently use Discord?

Smokey

Smokey

Founder/CEO
i can't wait to see how this turns out
giphy.gif

TBH, I'm not much of a huge fan of Discord, but many have benefit from it . So if PSN wants to try something new will just see how it turns out. :cool: I do miss the communities that was removed tho. :sneaky: