What's new
Revillution - Your portal to entertainment!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, promote your site and/or stream, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Click here to register today!

Handhelds?

JennyorAlice

Why does X-Box not get into the handheld gaming scene? Nintendo started the handhelds and Sony got into handheld scene but I wondered why Microsoft didn't get into it. Why do you think they don't make a handheld? Do you think they'll ever get into it or do you think they'll avoid it altogether? Why?

Demon_skeith

Because Nintendo dominated the handheld market and Sony pretty much picked up the scraps. Not leaving much room for someone like Xbox to release a handheld, since Sony abandon it MS was wise to not get into it, specially with trouble getting games onto their console.

Although, they are starting to license their games (like cup head) onto the Switch right now, so they are making the right move for handheld, go to the person already running the market.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O
Administrator
Well in a sense they are with xbox live and game pass being a thing coming to the Nintendo Switch, but personally, I would like to see a dedicated handheld device come from Microsoft, but I guess they saw what happened with the PS Vita and decided it was in their best interest to not attempt something like that.

Demon_skeith

Well in a sense they are with xbox live and game pass being a thing coming to the Nintendo Switch, but personally, I would like to see a dedicated handheld device come from Microsoft, but I guess they saw what happened with the PS Vita and decided it was in their best interest to not attempt something like that.
not to mention MS has always been about power, I remember an article back in the day about someone estimating the cost of a handheld and it would be rather costly to put out.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O
Administrator
not to mention MS has always been about power, I remember an article back in the day about someone estimating the cost of a handheld and it would be rather costly to put out.
Right, because they would want it to be the most powerful handheld on the market no doubt.

Demon_skeith

Which would put its cost to near that of an actual console, which no one is going to pay for something like that unless it came with great warranty.

Uncrowned

I think everyone has nailed the reasoning here, but I personally have always wondered why no one has taken on a Windows based handheld device. Ya, we have laptops and tablets, but there really in no reason you couldn't pound Windows 10 into a Switch-like device with built on controllers and run light games.

Kaos131

Verified
Verified
I was scrolling around the other day on Facebook, while at work, and ran across an article about Xbox considering making their own little handled console. Though that to me is probably just going to be all rumors. It would be interesting for Xbox to get into the handheld market, and hopefully they do it right. I know with Sony and the PSP/PS VIta, it didn't take too well. It was always Nintendo that seemed to capture the handheld market.

Uncrowned

Nintendo just has all the games that are fun on mobile. Not that Xbox or PS don't have fun mobile games or can't add them, but we turned to Xbox for AAA shooters and PS for AAA adventure and they just can't keep those levels of quality on a mobile device so in theory they can't really rise to their level, but only fall into Nintendo's level (not saying that is a bad level) and they simply can't beat out Mario, Pokemon, etc head on.