What's new
Revillution - Your Portal to Video Game and Content Creation Entertainment | Gaming Forums

You are currently viewing as a Guest! Why not take a moment to Register an account & log in to gain the full browsing experience. Members get access to a private inbox, ability to post messages on the forums, add their stream to the stream showcase, add images & videos to the gallery & much more.

Free hosting vs Paid hosting?

468 x 60 Advertising

Smokey

Founder
Administrator
RevBux
$1,441
Which do you prefer to utilize for your websites? Obviously you gain more reliability with paid hosting, but sometimes you can't afford to pay for your host, so free hosting options such as a free forum host might be the better option for you?

Which do you prefer? Paid or free hosting?

If I'm able to keep payments going, definitely paid. :) I'm hoping that i'll be able to support Gamer Reloaded and keep it online for quite a long time. :

Paid for me. Started doing it several years ago, and probably will always stay that way.

I'm hoping to be able to keep this place going. The reason I went to Jcink in the first place was because of expense, but after realizing i'd need Jcink premium to help accomplish what I wanted to do, and that it'd cost me roughly the same price every month as self-hosting, it just made sense to go self-hosted and start a brand new project from scratch.

I'm hoping to be able to keep this place going. The reason I went to Jcink in the first place was because of expense, but after realizing i'd need Jcink premium to help accomplish what I wanted to do, and that it'd cost me roughly the same price every month as self-hosting, it just made sense to go self-hosted and start a brand new project from scratch.
Well yeah, I'd agree. You might as well then. Probably would better fit you're needs there too.

I have both a paid blog (kindly supported by Megan~) and a free blog. I definitely like wordpress's paid system better in terms of accessibility and layout of the dashboard, but as a broke person, the unpaid version isn't horrible... Just not great. >w<

If you are new to hosting, webmaster life i will say start with free hosting and learn what is the hosting about. What type of hosting and how it works. Then when you are ready and have a good idea about managing a host, then switch to paid one.

How much do you pay per month? I pay $54.99 a month for a 1 gigabit, fully dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth.

I've never used free hosting.

When I was very young and first got into websites, there was no other option for me. So I always went with free solutions like Forumotion and 000webhost. But now that I have the means to go for them, I always go with paid hosting for my sites. I honestly could not imagine going back to free hosting.

How much do you pay per month? I pay $54.99 a month for a 1 gigabit, fully dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth.

I've never used free hosting.
For everything, it's about $20/month, but there are other bills and such too that go into it just not on a monthly basis.

For everything, it's about $20/month, but there are other bills and such too that go into it just not on a monthly basis.
Cool. That's about what I paid for my first serious host (Lunarpages). It was shared, but I used them for at least 6 years.

@zoldos Yeah, I feel ya man. It's not bad, I would've had to started to pay about $10 a month on Jcink, eventually, so I figured I might as well use my own hosting and run newer software. :p

@zoldos Yeah, I feel ya man. It's not bad, I would've had to started to pay about $10 a month on Jcink, eventually, so I figured I might as well use my own hosting and run newer software. :p
I hear that. Self hosting is definitely worth it, even on shared. So what are your server specs?

I use neocities, it's a geocities revival type host and you can host your site there for free with some data limits but for $10 you get a nice open package.

it's nice.

if I could get my ISP to agree to it though I'd probably self host lol

I use neocities, it's a geocities revival type host and you can host your site there for free with some data limits but for $10 you get a nice open package.

it's nice.

if I could get my ISP to agree to it though I'd probably self host lol
Oh man I remember geocities. I had a few sites on there. There and Homestead.

I like "The Way Back Machine". I actually saw one of my original sites on there from like 19 years ago. hehe

Which do you prefer to utilize for your websites? Obviously you gain more reliability with paid hosting, but sometimes you can't afford to pay for your host, so free hosting options such as a free forum host might be the better option for you?

Which do you prefer? Paid or free hosting?

If I'm able to keep payments going, definitely paid. :) I'm hoping that i'll be able to support Gamer Reloaded and keep it online for quite a long time. :

Well, the OP mentioned one obvious reason; it's simply too expensive for some people. Well, actually, I don't think hosting is too expensive for people because - the fact is that shared hosting is now very cheap - and even from reputable hosts. Nonetheless, though, I can't blame some hobbyist owners for not wanting to bother with it.

Now, myself, I'm very serious about some of my forums - so I would prefer to pay, and in fact, I use a VPS for most of my stuff.

Anyway, free doesn't equal slow always. In fact, if free hosting was too slow, I'm sure the host would go out of business - and also, if there are ads, probably the hosting will be as fast as reseller (an advanced, faster form of shared hosting).

Back