What's new
Revillution - Your portal to entertainment!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, promote your site and/or stream, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Click here to register today!

Free hosting vs Paid hosting?

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O
Administrator
Which do you prefer to utilize for your websites? Obviously you gain more reliability with paid hosting, but sometimes you can't afford to pay for your host, so free hosting options such as a free forum host might be the better option for you?

Which do you prefer? Paid or free hosting?

If I'm able to keep payments going, definitely paid. :) I'm hoping that i'll be able to support Gamer Reloaded and keep it online for quite a long time. :

Megan

Paid for me. Started doing it several years ago, and probably will always stay that way.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O
Administrator
I'm hoping to be able to keep this place going. The reason I went to Jcink in the first place was because of expense, but after realizing i'd need Jcink premium to help accomplish what I wanted to do, and that it'd cost me roughly the same price every month as self-hosting, it just made sense to go self-hosted and start a brand new project from scratch.

Megan

I'm hoping to be able to keep this place going. The reason I went to Jcink in the first place was because of expense, but after realizing i'd need Jcink premium to help accomplish what I wanted to do, and that it'd cost me roughly the same price every month as self-hosting, it just made sense to go self-hosted and start a brand new project from scratch.
Well yeah, I'd agree. You might as well then. Probably would better fit you're needs there too.

Juneberry

I have both a paid blog (kindly supported by Megan~) and a free blog. I definitely like wordpress's paid system better in terms of accessibility and layout of the dashboard, but as a broke person, the unpaid version isn't horrible... Just not great. >w<

Jason

If you are new to hosting, webmaster life i will say start with free hosting and learn what is the hosting about. What type of hosting and how it works. Then when you are ready and have a good idea about managing a host, then switch to paid one.

zoldos

How much do you pay per month? I pay $54.99 a month for a 1 gigabit, fully dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth.

I've never used free hosting.

Ash

When I was very young and first got into websites, there was no other option for me. So I always went with free solutions like Forumotion and 000webhost. But now that I have the means to go for them, I always go with paid hosting for my sites. I honestly could not imagine going back to free hosting.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O
Administrator
How much do you pay per month? I pay $54.99 a month for a 1 gigabit, fully dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth.

I've never used free hosting.
For everything, it's about $20/month, but there are other bills and such too that go into it just not on a monthly basis.

zoldos

For everything, it's about $20/month, but there are other bills and such too that go into it just not on a monthly basis.
Cool. That's about what I paid for my first serious host (Lunarpages). It was shared, but I used them for at least 6 years.

Smokey

Founder/C.E.O
Administrator
@zoldos Yeah, I feel ya man. It's not bad, I would've had to started to pay about $10 a month on Jcink, eventually, so I figured I might as well use my own hosting and run newer software. :p

zoldos

@zoldos Yeah, I feel ya man. It's not bad, I would've had to started to pay about $10 a month on Jcink, eventually, so I figured I might as well use my own hosting and run newer software. :p
I hear that. Self hosting is definitely worth it, even on shared. So what are your server specs?