What's new
Revillution - Your Portal to Video Game and Content Creation Entertainment | Gaming Forums

You are currently viewing as a Guest! Why not take a moment to Register an account & log in to gain the full browsing experience. Members get access to a private inbox, ability to post messages on the forums, add their stream to the stream showcase, add images & videos to the gallery & much more.

Do you feel kids should play violent games?

468 x 60 Advertising

jyy

RevBux
$0
Myself, I mentioned my young nephew playing Call of Duty - and I had no problem with that. However, I didn't like him playing Grand Theft Auto - cause it glorifies stealing and bad language. Anyway, I don't see the harm in violence - as long as it isn't gore. Gore would be violence for the sake of violence (no purpose to the violence aside from shock).

Anyway, my sister-in-law, won't allow kids to even watch Total Recall. Is she too strict? Well, surely she wouldn't let them play Call of Duty - for sure!

For me, it depends. If the kids can understand fully that it's a game and what happens in the game is fictional and that they shouldn't emulate it in the real world, then I don't see an issue. I grew up playing games like Mortal Kombat, Streets of Rage, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid to name a few, and I knew what happened in the games was fictional and shouldn't be copied IRL. I think it's up to the parents to teach their kids right from wrong and whether the kid is mature enough to handle playing the game or not.

I mean, violence is all over primetime television (the most likely time that children will be watching television), so I don't think it's that much different. I don't personally believe and have not seen any compelling evidence that violent media makes people more violent.

For me, it depends. If the kids can understand fully that it's a game and what happens in the game is fictional and that they shouldn't emulate it in the real world, then I don't see an issue. I grew up playing games like Mortal Kombat, Streets of Rage, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid to name a few, and I knew what happened in the games was fictional and shouldn't be copied IRL. I think it's up to the parents to teach their kids right from wrong and whether the kid is mature enough to handle playing the game or not.

I doubt if many can - unfortunately, maybe even most adults can't!

Do kids copy what they hear/see?

Well, my nephew (about 5 at the time probably) was exposed to bad language on a mass scale, and indeed he started cussing quite a bit. He couldn't just ignore it - like some "crazy uncle" thing (It was his grandmother's boyfriend.).

I mean, violence is all over primetime television (the most likely time that children will be watching television), so I don't think it's that much different. I don't personally believe and have not seen any compelling evidence that violent media makes people more violent.

What studies? It would be interesting to see pro and con arguments on this stuff.

I think it depends on a lot of factors: How emotionally mature are they? What mental illnesses might they have that it can either effect poorly or be helpful? I've never been fully emotionally mature, so I avoid many violent games because they give me nightmares. But, the ones I can handle, I play a lot- especially when I'm angry or frustrated. It's a better coping skill than self-harm or punching a wall (which technically is still self-harming). If they're using it to vent, as long as they're not playing ones that scare them 'til they're shaking in their boots, I think it's generally fine.

I think it depends on a lot of factors: How emotionally mature are they? What mental illnesses might they have that it can either effect poorly or be helpful? I've never been fully emotionally mature, so I avoid many violent games because they give me nightmares. But, the ones I can handle, I play a lot- especially when I'm angry or frustrated. It's a better coping skill than self-harm or punching a wall (which technically is still self-harming). If they're using it to vent, as long as they're not playing ones that scare them 'til they're shaking in their boots, I think it's generally fine.

Yeah, it's a complex subject - but at least for smaller children - it's: "Monkey see, monkey do" lol. Anyway, some religious fundementalists try to paint adults or teens like that, but as said, there's more than meets the eye. I mean, for instance, if someone is abused, then wouldn't they positively react more to "the evil side"?

Last edited:
Back